The Columbia Graduate Consulting Club 2014 Case Competition
Date: Friday, August 22nd, 2014
Applications are due July 25th at midnight. Apply Here.
Teams will need to submit one cover letter, a single-page resume for each member, and a short form with background and contact info for all members.
Please see rules for applying and additional details below. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions related to the case competition.
- Columbia Graduate Consulting Club's annual Case Competition is designed to give non-MBA graduate degree candidates (MA/MS, PhD, MD, JD, or Postdoc) a chance to work as a team to solve a case together while demonstrating their analytical, problem solving and presentation skills to a judging panel of current consultants. There will be a $1,000 cash prize for the winning team.
- Our Case Competition is a one-day, completely free event that does not require previous business experience or any other specialized knowledge (ie sciences, economics, etc). We highly encourage all our CGCC members to form teams and apply!
- Teams must have 4-5 members. Teams must also have a name - feel free to get creative.
- Non-students are welcome to apply, but there must be at least 3 degree candidates (MA/MS, PhD, MD, JD, or Postdoc) per team.
- Please be prepared with the following information for each team member: Names, Email, Degree Program (MA/MS, PhD, MD, JD, Postdoc, or non-student), University/Organization, and whether they are a CGCC member.
- Please submit one cover letter for the team, and the resumes for each team member together in a single PDF file.
- Unfortunately, we will not be accepting applications for individuals. If you are a CGCC member, please go to our members only section to access our spreadsheet that will match interested individuals into teams.
- Applications must be submitted by July 25th at midnight. Apply here.
- Email us at email@example.com if you have questions about the application or eligibility.
- Teams arrive at Columbia\'s Morningside Campus by 8:30 AM on Friday, August 22nd.
- Private workspaces provided for each team (bring your own laptops!).
- Case and all related data will be released at 9:30 AM; slide decks due via email by 1:15 PM.
- All teams present recommendations to a panel of judges (current consultants and project leaders).
- Finalist presentations will be open to the public.
- Judges provide feedback on teams\' analyses and presentation skills; teams will be given time to improve their presentations for the final round.
And the best part... Happy Hour for teams and judges following the event!
- No business experience required!
- The case is designed to be approachable for aspiring consultants from the sciences and humanities.
- We, via your \"client,\" will provide all information needed to reach a recommendation. No pre-work is required - just show up on Friday ready to get started.
- Case will ask a strategic business question (e.g., \"How to increase profitability of division X?\")
- Successful recommendations will involve quanitative and qualitative analyses... ...and your team\'s creativity and structured thinking!
- The topic will not be released ahead of time.
- We are not accepting case topic requests at this time.